Skip to main content

Homemade Extracts

Almond Vanilla, Vanilla and Lemon Orange Extract
Making homemade extracts are so easy to make. I have been making vanilla extract for years and haven't gone back buy that from a store.  When I had to purchase extract from a store they were like $5 and only got a couple of them. 
A lot of extracts that you find at a store is diluted and some contain artificial colour or corn syrup. Gross!  

My mom's favorite flavor for a cake is wedding cake. For the longest time we didn't know that the flavor wedding cake is almond. Her birthday is in August so I want to have almond extract for her birthday cake.
My oldest nephew birthday is coming up this summer and he has already requested that make him a strawberry lemon cake. 
Meyer Lemons are so hard to come by I used Lemons and Oranges Peel

Vanilla extract I use in practically all of my baked goods and syrups for coffee or breakfast syrups. I have been told by friends and family that can notice the difference in taste with using homemade and store bought vanilla.

I did a post on vanilla extract back in the beginning of January, it was one of my first post as a matter of fact.  So I was going to just do an update on the extract but decided to just make another jar of it.


Here is what you need:
1.75 L of Silver or Clear Rum
3 Mason Jars
Labels
Funnel
Blanched Almonds*, Vanilla Beans, Lemon Zest, Orange Zest or Meyer Lemons if you can find them

Why blanched almonds? Almonds will become bitter when you steep them when the skins.
Vanilla beans are easy to find online like Amazon and can buy them in bulk.  Buy Grade B vanilla beans not Grade A. 


Almond Vanilla Extract
1 1/2 cups of Blanched Almonds
3 to 4 Vanilla Beans
5 cups of Silver Rum (Clear)
Mason jar

*To blanch raw almonds either boil the almonds for a minute or boil 2 cups of water and pour over the almonds for 1 to 2 minutes.  Rinse the almonds in cold water and the skins will come off.

Combine blanched almonds, vanilla beans and silver rum in a mason jar.  Seal the jar tight and shake a couple of times.  Put a label and put the date. Let it sit a dark and cool area for at least 8 weeks before using.


Lemon Orange Extract (Meyer Lemon)
Peel of 3 Lemons
Peel of 2 Naval Oranges
About 3 cups of Silver Rum
Mason jar

Peel the three lemons and two oranges then place in the mason jar with the funnel pour in the rum. Seal with the lid then shake the mason jar.  Label the mason jar and place in a dark and cool area for at least 8 weeks before use.




Vanilla Extract
20 to 25 Grade B Vanilla Extract
5 cups of Silver Rum 
Mason jar

Split vanilla beans down the middle. Do not apply too much press or you will split it in half.  Place all the beans in the mason jar then pour in silver rum. Place in a dark and cool place. Let it sit for at least 8 weeks before using.


Steeping for about six months



Will do a update or repost on extracts in a couple of months.

Comments

  1. Making a home made food is a very good solution for make sure the food are save from all chemical contamination . I always like to read your article and will pass to my wife , she will love it and always try something new for cooking experience

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel the same way. A lot of people look at me strange when I tell them that I prefer to make everything from scratch. It may take longer to make but you know what you are putting in your body, know what is in the recipe and no funny preservatives.

      Delete
  2. These look amazing! I have to try them out ASAP!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you can always use them for decoration as well while they are steeping.

      Delete
  3. Yum, I <3 vanilla and almond extract, what a good idea to make homemade. I've tried vanilla but never the other ones

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The vanilla extract is my favorite too, you can use it in so many things.

      Delete
  4. I have never considered making my own extracts but like most things in cooking and baking, homemade is almost ALWAYS better. I'll have to consider trying this-- I make cakes frequently (and just recently took a cake decorating class to increase my skills), so I'm sure adding homemade extracts will add to the success.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree with you when it comes to baking at home instead of buying prepackaged items or already made mix.

      Delete
  5. Ooh, lemon extract sounds delicious! I'd love to make that and cook with it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the first time making the lemon/orange extract and hoping it comes out great.

      Delete
  6. Awesome. Vanilla extract is so expensive, I am definitely going to have to try making my own, I use it all the time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I was in the baking isle the other day and saw a small bottle with maybe 2 ounces in it and it was $8. I can get a big bottle of rum and the vanilla beans and make so much vanilla extract that can last me for at least a year,

      Delete
  7. Homemade food is alwasy better! Seriously it's like there is something different between fresh resturant food and fresh homemade food!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment